Tarantino Dialogue - How Kill Bill Keeps Us Hooked
This video breaks down one of the best scenes of Kill Bill: Vol. 2 where Beatrix finally confronts Bill and they exchange a long scene of dialogue. Learn how Quentin Tarantino makes this long scene of dialogue engaging and how he uses these techniques in his other films.
- The audience should know what's at risk with each scene of long dialogue.
- The longer the scene of dialogue is, the higher the stakes should be.
- Apply a three act structure to a scene of dialogue (examples: set up, power shift, dramatic release or physical, intellectual, emotional)
- Letting your characters tell a story with long dialogue can create suspense and delay the inevitable
- Let your characters tell stories but make sure they are relevant to the characters and add depth to their development.